A rich and coffee-flavoured dessert, one of my family favourites!
8oz box cream cheese at room temp
6 tbsp. sugar (divided)
¾ cup heavy whipping cream plus 1 tbsp. sugar whipped to 1 ½ cups (1 ½ cups of Cool Whip may be used as an instant alternative)
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup strong coffee (or as needed)
1 package lady fingers
cocoa powder & chocolate shavings – for garnishing
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix softened Cream Cheese with 3 tbsp. of sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. In a separate bowl, mix 3 egg yolks with remaining 3 tbsp. of sugar n vanilla extract and whisk continuously in a double boiler (this means you put the yolks in a heat-proof bowl and place the bowl over boiling water, not in the water, just on top of the pan which has boiling water) keep whisking until eggs are cooked by the hot steam (approx. 1-2 minutes). The color of the yolks will turn a lemon yellow when done.
3. Immediately mix the egg mixture into the cream cheese mixture and stir well.
4. Add 2-3 tbsp. of the coffee into the mixture and mix well.
5. Whip Heavy Whipping Cream and 1 tbsp. Sugar in a bowl over ice until fluffy. Fold Whipped Cream into cream cheese/egg mixture until well incorporated.
6. Dip each lady finger sponge biscuit for about 2 seconds in coffee and lay them out in your dish.
7. Spread ½ of the cream cheese filling evenly on top of the fingers followed by some chocolate shavings.
8. Lightly dust cocoa powder over the filling. Tea strainer works great!
9. Repeat with another layer of coffee dipped fingers.
10. Top with remaining filling and chocolate shavings.
11. Sprinkle cocoa powder over the top to form a coating.
12. Chill overnight to set. (this dessert tastes better with time, so after 12-24 hours it will taste much better than it would when it's freshly made. Enjoy!